Home Sweet Home Quilt Along
- Block 1 - My Home
- Block 2 - Lapacek's Orchard
- Block 3 - House by the Bay
- Block 4 - My Tilted House
- Block 5 - Two Trees
- Block 6 - Tree of Life
- Block 7 - Under the Moreton Bay Fig
- Block 8 - A Wonky Modern House
- Block 9 - Scrappy Trees
- Block 10 - A Home for the Birds
- Block 11 - The Happy Tree
- Block 12 - the little house
- Block 13 - Three Trees
- Block 14 - Under the Apple Tree
- Block 15 - A Home for Hoot
- Block 16 - Branch Sweet Branch
- BONUS - accuquilt home
- BONUS - Acid Cottage
- BONUS - Marcia's Crazee Patch House
- BONUS Block - Rippling Pond
- Flickr Group - Post your blocks here!
- BONUS - Acid Cottage
My Fabric is For Sale!
My Flickr Stream!
My Blog List
Kim's Crafty Apple has MOVED to www.PersimonDreams.com
I’m re-branding myself from Kim’s Crafty Apple into ‘Persimon Dreams.’
You can now find me at:
(and my jewelry is still at www.theapple.etsy.com)
Since I’ve done ‘Closer Look’s’ at all the other quilts in the Project QUILTING challenge I figure I’d do one for the quilt I created as well.
On the other feature’s I typically showed the quilt and then the inspiration – on this post I’m going to show you how the quilt was created – starting with the inspiration.
Quilter: Kim’s Crafty Apple
As soon as I saw the challenge was 'Architectural Elements' I thought about the barn that they'd been taking down for months just down the road from me. I mentioned to my DH that I needed to go take a picture of it for the challenge and he said they' started taking it down that day! Luckily I still snagged a few bone pictures - at least enough to still use it for my inspiration!
I created this 'Free form quilt' using the techniques I read bout it the book 'create your own free-form quilts' by Rayna Gillman.
I love the book and the concept behind the quilts in the book instantly. I love that it's completely free and you don't think as you create - exactly by method! Every piece in this quilt was found in my scrap bin. I can't wait to make another quilt like this with even more scraps! (I may have a few…see upper left corner photo…)
In the early stages of the piece…when it was basically just beige and a few little light blue and green my husband Jared looked at it and was like, “What are you making? That doesn’t look like you at all!” (I’m not a neutral quilter). I assured him not to worry and it would definitely end up being cool. It kept growing bigger and bigger (on its own) so I finally just had to stop. At this point, I felt that it needed more dark brown (the 'barn bones') so I did some raw edge appliqué to add a bit more depth to the piece.
I finished by binding with all different scraps found in the quilt. The brown bits ‘stops’ the quilt while the colored/neutral leaves it feeling open – I think that it has a little of both fits this piece perfectly.
Dimensions: 30" x 42.5"
Created in Poynette, WI
Did you miss the earlier closer looks?
Ready for the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along?
PS. Please VOTE in the Spoonflower Outdated Technology Fabric Contest (http://www.spoonflower.com/contests/118) for ‘Keys Madness by KimsCraftyApple). You can vote for as many fabrics as you want – I just hope you include mine in your selection! Thanks for all your support!
Sign Up for my Newsletter!
- Happy Birthday Diane!
- Making Music – A Closer Look, Part 1
- Block 5: Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – Two Trees b...
- Making Music – Critique’s
- What’s Coming Up?
- Random PRIZES for Project QUILTING – Season 3, Cha...
- Saturday Summary
- What’s Your Style: Asian
- Block 4: Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – My Tilted H...
- Project QUILTING Sponsor – Marcia’s Crafty Sewing ...
- Block 3: Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – House by th...
- Spoonflower – Stack of Pearls
- Project QUILTING, Season 3, Challenge 2 – Making M...
- Project QUILTING Sponsor – Quilts by Barb
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look - Barn Bon...
- What’s Your Style: Art Nouveau
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look, Part 5
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look, Part 4
- Block 2: Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – Lapacek’s O...
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look, Part 3
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look, Part 2
- Block 1: ‘Home Sweet Home’ Quilt Along – My Home
- Architectural Elements – A Closer Look, Part 1
- Project QUILTING – Season 3, Challenge 1 – Random ...
- Project QUILTING Sponsor – The Fat Quarter Shop
- Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – Pick Your Fabrics
- Modern Solids Quilt Along – FINISHED!
- Quilting in 2012
- A Monday Treasury
- Project QUILTING, Season 3, Challenge 1 – Architec...
- Record your Quilts! A Quilt Album Review
- What’s Your Style: Art Deco
- Outdated Technology – I need YOUR help!
- Project QUILTING – Season 3 – PRIZES!
- Spoonflower – Ice in Bloom
- Mystery Monday – Baffled in Belmont – Steps 18, 19...
- Typewriter Photos
- ▼ January (38)
- ► 2011 (225)
- ► 2010 (276)
- ► 2009 (302)
In a previous post I talked about creating a barn quilt to hang at my orchard. Well, the process has begun and I plan to keep you all ‘in...
I started this quilt way back in February of 2011 when a friend of mine on etsy sent me the link for Amy Butler’s Bloom Pattern . As soon...
Everyone super excited to see what Block 3 for the quilt along is going to be. Before we get there I want to introduce you to today’s desig...
I have to apologize for how long it has taken me to get this blog post up. I had it mostly written and then of course, didn’t save it so I ...
I just saw a feature that LiveYourStyle Blog did on ME! I am so touched and honored to see someone that appreciates my work. Thank you so mu...