Home Sweet Home Quilt Along
- Block 1 - My Home
- Block 2 - Lapacek's Orchard
- Block 3 - House by the Bay
- Block 4 - My Tilted House
- Block 5 - Two Trees
- Block 6 - Tree of Life
- Block 7 - Under the Moreton Bay Fig
- Block 8 - A Wonky Modern House
- Block 9 - Scrappy Trees
- Block 10 - A Home for the Birds
- Block 11 - The Happy Tree
- Block 12 - the little house
- Block 13 - Three Trees
- Block 14 - Under the Apple Tree
- Block 15 - A Home for Hoot
- Block 16 - Branch Sweet Branch
- BONUS - accuquilt home
- BONUS - Acid Cottage
- BONUS - Marcia's Crazee Patch House
- BONUS Block - Rippling Pond
- Flickr Group - Post your blocks here!
- BONUS - Acid Cottage
My Fabric is For Sale!
My Flickr Stream!
My Blog List
Kim's Crafty Apple has MOVED to www.PersimonDreams.com
I’m re-branding myself from Kim’s Crafty Apple into ‘Persimon Dreams.’
You can now find me at:
(and my jewelry is still at www.theapple.etsy.com)
Have you discovered the Craftsy Block of the Month by Amy Gibson yet? If you are a quilter or ever dreamed of quilting this is the prefect block of the month for everyone! Each month Amy goes over a different quilt technique with a video. It’s really easy to understand and follow and I’ve already learned quite a few new techniques.
Something I’ve tried before was English Paper Piecing. I’ll admit I was not excited to do the English Paper Piecing blocks – it just wasn’t my thing. BUT I’m not a quitter and I had to do it. I watched Amy’s tutorial and she didn’t differently than I had before so I did it her way. What a difference it made! I am now in love with making these fabulous Hexagons. So far, I’ve made up one sashing tutorial using the hexagons with plan for a second using slightly bigger ones.
It’s free to sign up to be a Craftsy Member and the Block of the Month Program is also free. I’m going to recommend that you watch Amy’s tutorial to see how to make these hexagon’s. (PS. when you become a member be sure to follow me so you can see my projects and blocks as I go!)
1 – 12.5” x 3.5” Strip
5 – 2.5” Squares (Tree tops)
5 – 2” x .5” ‘trunks’ that will be fused to your main fabric (I put the fusible on my fabric before I cut it – seems to be easier).
5 – 3/4-inch hexagon templates
You can see above that I have my five fabrics and my five templates. I used Amy’s Instructions to created five hexagons and I sewed them all together in a row. Once they were starched and ironed I cut my basting stitches out And pulled the templates out as well. (You can save these for future projects if you’d like…who knows…there may be more sashing’s with them) Next, I used a washable glue stick to put my hexagons where I want them on my fabric. Before I sewed them down, I fused my tree trunks so they overlapped under them. As you can see I cut mine at a wonky 1/2-inch x 2-inches. I thought it added a bit more dimension to the trees. I blanket stitched the outer edge of the hexagon strip and the right side of the trunks. I used a straight line stitch to stitch the left side of the trunks. I’m really happy with this fun and whimsical sashing!Here it is finished with Block 4 – My Tilted House above it and Block 8 - A Wonky Modern House below it. (Wonky Modern House was actually inspired by the February blocks of the Craftsy Block of the Month)
I hope you have fun with this sashing!
Sign Up for my Newsletter!
- Home Sweet Home – Truffula Tree Sashing Tutorial
- A Birthday, A Book Review and a GIVEAWAY
- Home Sweet Home – Birds in the Bushes Sashing Tuto...
- Home Sweet Home – Trees in Blossom Bonus Sashing
- BOM & QAL’s – Monday Update
- ‘ties that bind’ by Marie Bostwick – a blog hop bo...
- Home Sweet Home – Hexagon Forest Sashing
- Home Sweet Home – BONUS Block – Acid Cottage from ...
- Home Sweet Home – Shoo Fly Sashing
- RAW Madison Stimulus Video & Guest Blogger
- Home Sweet Home – String a Flower Garden Sashing B...
- Home Sweet Home – BONUS Block – Rippling Pond from...
- I’m 30!!!!
- What’s Your Style: Boho
- BOM’s & QA’s – Monday Update
- BONUS Block – Home Sweet Home Quilt Along: Marcia’...
- Block 16 – Home Sweet Home Quilt Along 'Branch Swe...
- Home Sweet Home Sashing BONUS – 36 patch
- Block 15: Home Sweet Home Quilt Along – Home for H...
- Project QUILTING: Ziggin & A Zaggin - A Closer Loo...
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2011 (225)
- ► 2010 (276)
- ► 2009 (302)
In a previous post I talked about creating a barn quilt to hang at my orchard. Well, the process has begun and I plan to keep you all ‘in...
I started this quilt way back in February of 2011 when a friend of mine on etsy sent me the link for Amy Butler’s Bloom Pattern . As soon...
Everyone super excited to see what Block 3 for the quilt along is going to be. Before we get there I want to introduce you to today’s desig...
I have to apologize for how long it has taken me to get this blog post up. I had it mostly written and then of course, didn’t save it so I ...
I just saw a feature that LiveYourStyle Blog did on ME! I am so touched and honored to see someone that appreciates my work. Thank you so mu...