Grab My Button!

Grab My Button

Follow Me on Pinterest
Craftsy Block of the Month

Kim's Crafty Apple

the Apple

Canton Village Quilt Works
Amy's creative side

Fabric Fascination Quilt Along

Free Motion Quilt Along

another Quilt Along!

May For Me - BINGO!

Marcia's Crafty Sewing & Quilting
Photobucket

My Flickr Stream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from KimsCraftyApple. Make your own badge here.

Quilting Bloggers Logo
Guest Blogger on Quilting Gallery

My Blog List

Kim's Crafty Apple has MOVED to www.PersimonDreams.com

Monday, May 31, 2010

Time to VOTE for Project QUILTING Road Trip Challenge – Another Great Public Prize!

I can’t wait to share with you the entries for this weeks challenge – a fantastic, creative job done by everyone! It was a difficult challenge for me and add a holiday weekend onto that – you can really get into crunch time!

For those of you just tuning in you can read more about Project Quilting Here: http://kimscraftyapple.blogspot.com/2010/04/project-quilting.html

and about the second challenge of Season 1 Here:

http://kimscraftyapple.blogspot.com/2010/05/season-1-challenge-2.html

CHALLENGE WINNERS: There will be two winners for this challenge – one for the public vote and one for the ‘judged vote’ – Diane, Pam, Barb and our Guest Judge, Shannon. The winner of the PUBLIC vote will receive 4 fat quarters (their choice) from FabricAlaCarte AND a $10 gift certificate from the FatQuarterShop! The winner of the JUDGES vote will receive 2 moda charm packs of their choice from FabricsNQuilts AND a $10 gift certificate from the FatQuarterShop!

OTHER BONUSES:

A RANDOMLY Drawn Participant will win a pdf pattern for this beautiful quilt by FabricsAndQuilts: http://www.etsy.com/listing/47561057/boutique-red-blue-wheelchair-lap-quilt and I'm going to do another yard of hand-dyed fabric (Capri really wants to pick a name too).

I will also be sending everyone their rank (somewhere between 1 and 10 – be sure you’ve emailed me {lapaceksorchard@gmail.com} your email address) and any critique’s the judges have about your creation. The top 3 will be posted on my blog this weekend.

PUBLIC WINNERS: I will also be giving out a prize to the public. You’ll find out how to WIN at the bottom of this post after you’ve checked out each of our challengers entries. I am personally excited about this weeks prize…you’ll have to get all the way to find out why!

And now here are all the entries – in no particular order…

***Please note – I have left the images smaller than I normally do as I’ve received some feedback that my blog was loading slowly – hopefully this will help that issue. I strongly URGE you to take closer looks at the project by checking out their submittals on the flickr group:http://www.flickr.com/groups/1401824@N21/

Quilter: StudioCherie

patchwork side

The Story:

Unhappy with my choice of foot wear for the photo shoot, Rory chose to hide my feet (and the bottom of the skirt that is finished to sweetly) with lupin and tall grass. I never needed cowgirl boots before. I never had such a kickin' patchwork skirt either.
The project quilting challenge for this week was "road trip." I thought - great! I'll make a duffle. Then I read, you must use12 fabrics on the top of your quilt. A patchwork duffle sounded great, but I didn't think I would have time to complete it. Then I received an email from one of my customers who had just completed a patchwork duffle from my pattern. It was gorgeous, but I still did not have time. I started the patchwork anyway, not sure what it was going to be. Then I thought how super a comfortable skirt would be for a road trip. I could look great and be comfy for hours on end. Thank you, Kim, for putting on the challenges. I am so glad I made this for myself. My daughter wants one too. It is reversible for a completely different look. The patchwork skirt started as 3 sets of strips, 13 different fabrics in all

Created in Spokane, Washington.

Quilter: SpringWaterDesigns

Wander the World QuiltThe Story:

I like to take a traditional quilt design and add a unique touch. For this theme I decided to make an Amish Trip Around the World quilt, and I used a thread painting technique to add a literary quote by J.R.R. Tolkien that reads "Not all those who wander are lost". (By thread painting I mean that I used a thicker thread - 12 wt Sulky - and quilted the words into the quilt using a free motion quilting technique). In keeping with the theme of the quilt I quilted it with an all over meander. The quilt measures 36" x 48" and I used 12 different fabrics. My quilt was created in Jessup Maryland USA

Quilter: PennyFabricArt

Finish Line The Story:

For this week's Road Trip Challenge, I remembered one of my favorite road trips from my early 20's, when on a spur-of-the-moment a bunch of friends piled into a little Jetta in New Hampshire and hit the road for New York to go to the races at Belmont Park.
I'd never been to a horse race, and I was stunned at the power and speed and wild energy as the packs of horses flew around the track.
For this piece, I used many different cottons, silks, jacquard sateen's and a couple faux leathers. The piece is fused & satin stitched appliqué. The quilting highlights the contours of the muscles and clothing, and the wind as they fly past the crowd. The border is chocolate microfleece.
The piece is mounted on a stretched canvas frame, wired for hanging. Measures 36" x 24".
I'm now in Ridgefield, CT, so NYC is not so much of a road trip anymore.

Quilter: Karen’s Crafty World

May2010 092-25

The Story:

Here's my entry for challenge #2 in Project Quilting. I really had a hard time coming up with an idea for this one most likely because I haven't really taken any road trips. I like to fly instead of drive ;) However, I do spend quite a bit of time in the car driving to see patients who might live anywhere from 15 mins to 1 1/2 hours away from me. If my visits fall on a weekend day, Chuck will drive with me and I can ride shot gun and do some handwork. So, here's the idea behind this quilt. I've wanted a quilt for the car and this one will serve two purposes. 1.) Car Quilt. 2) The white squares, which feature SunBonnet Sue and Sam, all will be hand-quilted with red thread. This should keep me busy for quite some time as there are 28 six inch squares on this quilt. Perfect busy work for short road trips! This quilt measures 60"x 50" and was made in Elgin, IL but will travel often.

Quilter: QuiltingDiva

Quilting Diva

The Story:

The minute I saw the challenge I knew it would be a great time to stitch out my "classic cars" that I purchased from Embroidery Library. My machine was running for 9 hours to stitch all 6 of these!! I chose 6 different solids for the cars and made 6 four patch blocks with 6 different car prints. I live in Brandon Florida.

Quilter: MoranArtandQuilts

Route 66 quilt

The Story:

I wanted this quilt to look like a collage of things that remind the viewer of all the trips they’ve taken over the years. Route 66 is kind of the icon of travel so I wanted that to be the main focal point. My husband thought of using the sign and I thought “what if I make it so you can see what’s behind it or through it?”
I didn’t actually count the fabrics once I got to 12 so I know it’s more than that. I combined traditional machine appliqué with raw edge appliqué. I’m happy with how it turned out and I like how it’s busy with many different elements. Some are realistic, some are cartoony; I like the mixture.
You wanted to know where we’re from this time. I’m from Columbus, Ohio.

Quilter: LoveBugStudios

RoadTrip3 The Story:

This piece, titled "Ebby & Augi Drive to Pensacola" is a 6-panel scale version of a 35mm film canister, complete with "film" - which is actually a quilt.
I used to live in Hopkinsville, KY which is a really small town in the lower part of the state. My friend Augi & I shared office space, and very frequently on Friday afternoons, we would get a wild hair and decide to leave work at that very moment & drive to the beach (9 hours away.) We'd taken several trips to various beach destinations, and Pensacola was one of our favorites. Augi would always drive, and I would always sleep on the way.
When rolled up, the outside reads "Quilt 2010 - 6 exp." This is actually a fully-removable sleeve with a velcro closure.
When unrolled, the quilt features select images and pieces inspired by the trip, and measures 12" x 79".
The rules of the project were to use 12 fabrics in the front of the quilt, which will be detailed in each panel, but you can see the complete list here:lovebugstudios.blogspot.com/2010/05/road-trip-fabrics-pro....
Made in Hainesville, IL.

To read more about each panel and LoveBug’s process check out her blog: http://www.lovebugstudios.blogspot.com/search?q=Road+Trip&submit=Go

Quilter – Kathleen’s Quilts

Garden

The Story:

Years ago, when horses were a big part of our lives, my husband and I drove to Columbus Ohio to attend a large equine trade show and exposition. An unexpected perk of the trip was finding a beautiful garden early one morning. Light misty fog added to the scene... it was simply lovely. This is my loose interpretation of the garden, it's paths and a fountain in the center.
If you count the bit of silver used for the sun's reflection on the water, thirteen fabrics were used. Several different fabrics for the grass and for the flowers but only one fabric was used for the stone path to keep it uniform.
Meander quilting in green in the grass and in pink in the flower areas.
32" square; stitched in Cissna Park, IL

Quilter – Quilties

DSC_0063

The Story:

This quilted tote bag is symbolic of a very special, old, red, metal cooler that my parents always had when they took our family on road trips. It had fascinating souvenir stickers all over from trips they took together and we added stickers on many of our family trips. I loved looking at that cooler and remembering all our good times.
I used transfer paper to transfer some patch images I chose that were special to me in some way. The places I've gone when I was a kid, my honeymoon, with my family now and states I've lived in, etc.... The top border is to satisfy the challenge requirement of more than 12 fabrics. There 22 scraps, chosen to look like the landscapes we've seen and set up to look like a road with the yellow dotted line down the center.
I wanted this to be a nice tote bag to use for future road trips, so I quilted the sides, lined it, made a gusset in the bottom so it's really roomy and added nice thick handles, so it's a really functional bag.
My mom doesn't know where that old cooler is anymore...but the memory of it will live on in this project!
-Emma Thomas-McGinnis of Quilties
Near Des Moines, IA

Quilter: KimsCraftyApple

Project QUILTING Road Trip - ENTRY

The Story:

I actually had a completely different project started for this challenge at the beginning of the week - I wasn't happy with it. Yesterday I finally decided to put it aside (it's still cool - just not Project QUILTING worthy) and start over.
I snagged my husband's State of Wisconsin Map, and cut out squares of the map which I then sandwiched between lamination paper. I backed each of these squares with a fun purple fabric that just peaks around the edges.
Since I have no idea how my new laminate fabric will hold up I decided this project would be one I would keep - so I had to make it into something I would like and use. Since I'm going on a 'Road Trip' I decided a bag would be fitting - a Really BIG Bag - a 21" wide by 14" deep with two 32" patchwork handles and a really nice three compartment interior pocket.
I also picked out a bunch (12-14) other fabrics that I really liked to go along with my new 'map' fabric. I windowed each of the map blocks with strips from these fabrics. I then continued to sew pieces of all the different fabrics together to create this fantastic scrappy look.
I did an angular 'swirl' pattern with the quilting and boxed off each of the map blocks. The handles are made from a patchwork of the same fabric as the bag and the lining is a fun 'riverbed scene' with quotes on it.
A button from UrbanTurn is used to keep the bag closed.
This bag was created in Poynette, WI.

PUBLIC WINNERS: The winner from the Random Generator will receive a $20 gift certificate to spend on whatever you choose at TheApple!

P5230190

Wrap Around Glass Pearl Cluster Ring – Size 7.5

A wide selection of fun, crazy, colorful and whimsical jewelry from earrings to necklaces to bracelets to rings can be found at theApple. Use your gift certificate to treat yourself or find the perfect gift for someone you love!

P5230166

Daisy Earrings – Jewel Toned with Glass Pearls

SIX Chances to WIN!

Entry 1: REQUIRED! Leave a comment on your favorite entry and vote for your favorite on the poll on the upper left hand side of the blog. - ***MUST DO***

Optional/Additional Entries – please note – if you want to qualify for these additional entries you must leave a SEPERATE comment for each – if you already follow or are a fan, etc just leave comments saying each. If you write everything in ONE comment you only will have ONE entry…

Entry 2: Follow my blog.

Entry 3: Tweet about this fantastic contest with hashtag #PQRectangles (important or I won’t know you did it)

Entry 4: Become a Fan of Project QUILTING on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ProjectQUILTING

Entry 5: add my Project Quilting ‘Grab my Blinkie’ to your blog or blog about my giveaway (link your blog or post in your comment, please)

Entry 6: Head on over to theApple and let me know what you would get if you won this weeks prize!

***Participants in project quilting ARE allowed to enter in the public poll/contest as well.***

This means you have SIX chances to win! I need you to write each of these entries as different comments in order to qualify you for all five entries and include your email address. If you don’t include your email address I won’t be able to contact you when you win and I will have to choose a new winner. I will be picking the winner at 7pm on Friday, June 4th.

63 comments:

Laura said...

I thought "Ebby & Augi Drive to Pensacola" was a wonderful depiction of a road trip. What would we do without our cameras and scrapbooks to record our road trips? :O)

Laura said...

I follow your blog.

Laura said...

I tweeted. :O)

Laura said...

I am a fan of Project Quilting on Facebook.

Laura said...

If I win the public prize, my eye is on this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47605508/bracelet-giraffe-print-stretch

What a cool bracelet!

The Hillbilly Wife said...

"Ebby & Augi Drive to Pensacola" is a very creative roadtrip quilt! The film roll is a neat idea!

The Hillbilly Wife said...

I follow your blog. But I am brand new and would like to find out how to get in the next challenge! This is fun!

The Hillbilly Wife said...

I am a brand new fan on facebook--Tonya Owens

The Hillbilly Wife said...

So many pretty things to choose, but I would actually let my daughter pick her favorite. She just turned 20, and actually helps mom out so much. I would love to be able to give her something!

FabricFascination said...

Another fabulous week of quilted arts to look at, read about the process, and vote for.

I already follow your blog, (and love it)!

FabricFascination said...

I have your Project Quilting blinkie on my blog.

Originals by Lauren said...

This was a hard choice, so many fantastic entries, but I had to vote for Cherie's skirt, if I walked into a store and saw it, I would run right over and try it on, it is definitely my style.

FabricFascination said...

Lots to look at in your shop, so I can't guarantee these would be my final picks, but I really like these:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/35605171/turquoise-coral-stacked-copper-earrings

And these make me laugh, they are very cute:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/32513973/some-like-it-hot-jalepeno-charm-earrings

FabricFascination said...

I just tweeted this week's challenge

Originals by Lauren said...

already a fan on facebook, so I went over and shared it on facebook, hope you get more voters.

FabricFascination said...

I like so many of the entries again this week, but will have to vote for Lovebug's for originality and execution.

TeresaM said...

Lots of great entries!!!
I love so many of them but guess I will go with the tote bag!

Placed my vote!

TeresaM said...

I'm now a fan on FB!

TeresaM said...

I'm already a follower of your blog!!!

DownHome Designs said...

I have several favorites this week...actually for EVERY challenge! There's more than one of these entries that rate the number 1 place.
I decided on Moran's because I really liked the way she used the different novelty fabrics to depict things you might see along the side of the road and the Rte 66 sign is great!.

DownHome Designs said...

I don't Tweet, but I did post on my FB wall about Project Quilting.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/home.php?sk=lf

DownHome Designs said...

I follow your blog. : )

DownHome Designs said...

I'm a fan on FB.

DownHome Designs said...

I blogged about PQ.
http://downhome-designs.blogspot.com/2010/05/project-quilting-challenge-road-trip.html

StudioCherie said...

I voted for my skirt because I really do love it and I am going to make some more. When I wear it on road trips, it'll be like having 2 skirts since it is reversible - bonus! Thanks again for the great challenge. All of the entries are fantastic.

DownHome Designs said...

If I won, I'd probably let one of my girls pick the prize from The Apple, but I like these.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/27422805/hoops-and-rectangles-shocking-spring

The Quilting Cat Lady. said...

I thought Ebby & Augi Drive to Pensacola was fantastic and Ebony sure gets my vote for originality and execution of the idea. All the entry's where beautiful but I like the film the best.
Alda, Fl

Debbie said...

my favorite is MoranArtsandquitls

Debbie said...

shoot forgot my email
mom99x@aol.com

Tawny said...

My fave is the Route 66 quilt. My little guy is totally obsessed with the "cars" movie which of course features route 66, so he went nuts when he saw that one. Had to vote for it!

Tawny said...

I am also a follower :)

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

As usual, it was very difficult to decide which entry to vote for, as they are all so great. My favorite is LoveBug's "Ebby & Augi Drive to Pensacola". It is unique, interesting and well executed,and I really enjoyed Ebony's detailed description of how she created each panel.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

If i won the gift certificate from TheApple, this would be my pick because these are 2 of my favorite colors! http://www.etsy.com/listing/33791128/evergreen-tagua-nut-silk-necklace

karol anderson said...

i had to vote for Lovebug's quilt because when i first saw it, i was absolutely amazed with her creativity. There were so many wonderful submissions this time, and i continue to be amazed with the talent on this team!

karol anderson said...

i follow your blog

karol anderson said...

i am a fan of Project Quilting on Facebook

karol anderson said...

i love the Arizona bracelet on the Apple! i am loving those citrus colors this summer.

Dawn said...

I blogged about the Project Quilting challenge and my Wander the World Quilt
http://springwaterdesigns.blogspot.com

Dawn said...

I twittered :)

Dawn said...

And I'm a follower!

Cara said...

I am amazed by the cretivy shown in this challenge. I was at a total loss in trying to think of 'something' to do. Wish I had time to participate. Really enjoy seeing each weeks entries. Keep up the great work ladies!

Heather Raabe said...

Love the skirt!!! Clever and functional and fun!

Heather Raabe said...

Just fanned Project Quilting on FB! And, I wish my aunt used the computer more (maybe I can convince her). She's an AMAZING quilter and would enjoy seeing these!

Heather Raabe said...

And from theapple, I would choose the Vintage Shoebutton ring or the Single Red-Orange Pansy ring, or I would let my daughter choose!

Raige Creations said...

just voted - it was tough again this week! Love Bug always has wonderfully creative things to share, but I had to vote for the skirt. Something completely different, and great for a road trip! It looks so comfy.

Raige Creations said...

I have your blinkie on my blog, and have blogged about project quilting near the beginning. might do another this week....still trying to find the time.

Raige Creations said...

I follow your blog too!

Raige Creations said...

I am a FB fan - that's how I keep up to date with all of Project Quiliting's info!

Raige Creations said...

From The Apple...this was tough too! But I like your charm earrings, so would have to pick between one of the teapot ones of the camera ones.

Anonymous said...

Such amazing work! I just love that skirt... absoulutely beautiful!

BoutiqueKarma said...

I love the skirt by StudioCherie - so beautiful & unique!

Unknown said...

I love the roll of film by LoveBugStudios. Now I want to make one of my road trip with my sister across the Southwestern US.

Unknown said...

I'm a fan on facebook.

Unknown said...

If I won the public prize I would have to go for the Teal Fabric Bracelet. It looks lovely!

Melissa ;-) said...

I LOVE KimsCraftyApple's map bag!!!! Voting now!

Melissa ;-) said...

I am a fan!

Melissa ;-) said...

If I win, I would love to own the Natural Beauty II Memory Bracelet!

Unknown said...

the skirt by studiocherie is sooo..cute and looks like it will be comfy to travel in..happy traveling girl, you go!

Twisted Planet said...

awesome. I'd get all of them. I think they are super creative. I wish I had the patience to quilt but not right now. I'm more into trying random crafts and seeing what comes of it :)
www.twistedplanet.etsy.com

Jaci said...

Wow, this was a hard choice! I finally decided on the roll of film by love bug.
www.ByTheWay.etsy.com

Jaci said...

I tweeted :)
www.bytheway.etsy.com

Jaci said...

I love the Rainbow Cascade Candy Drop Earrings in your shop!
www.bytheway.etsy.com

Quilting Diva said...

I love all the entries! Such stiff competition!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Baby Clothing, Quilts, Bags, Jewelry, and Hoodies!

Sign Up for my Newsletter!

My Wonderful Sponsors!

My Wonderful Sponsors!
Fat Quarter Shop

Spice Berry Cottage

10% OFF all fabrics!

10% OFF all fabrics!
use coupon code KIMSCRAFTY

Project QUILTING on Facebook

Marcia's Crafty Sewing & Quilting

PersimonDreams on Facebook

Generation Q Magazine

BWS tips button

Etsy Treasury Team

BWS tips button

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews